State Job Application Process
Frequently Asked Questions
|Q1:||How do I apply for a state job?|
|A1:||• Visit the Iowa.Jobs page.
• Visit the Iowa.Jobs.Promo page if you are currently a permanent State of Iowa employee.
• Search for a vacancy that matches your job search criteria. Applications are only accepted if a vacancy is posted on the Iowa.Jobs site.
• Each vacancy announcement includes specific application instructions, an Auto Req ID, and an application deadline date. Please follow instructions listed in the vacancy announcements. Be sure to use the Auto Req ID for each job for which you are applying.
• Click on the box next to the job vacancy you want to apply for.
• Click the Apply for Job link and follow the instructions to upload your resume and complete the additional forms.
|Q2:||Are there some common mistakes to avoid?|
• The information on your applicant record must be accurate and complete or we may not be able to process it.
|Q3:||Can I apply for more job openings if I already have an application on file?|
|A3:||• You may apply for additional announced vacancies, or job classes open to continuous recruitment, if you have a new application entered into the new system that is less than two years old.
• If you would like to apply for additional vacancies using your current application on file, visit the Iowa.Jobs page (or Iowa.Jobs.Promo if you are currently a permanent State of Iowa employee.)
• You can also apply via e-mail or by calling us at (515) 281-3087 and leaving a message.
|Q4:||What should I do if I want to change information on my application?|
|A4:||If you completed an online application, you can sign on to the Iowa.Jobs (or Iowa.Jobs.Promo if you are currently a permanent State of Iowa employee) website and log into your user profile with your e-mail address and password.
If you have a paper application on file, you can inform us of your changes as follows:
• send us an e-mail
• Call us at (515) 281-3087. This is an automated call processing system. Listen carefully to the options and leave a message giving the changes you want us to make.
|Q5:||Do I have to take a test?|
|A5:||If you are required to take a test you will be notified by e-mail or US mail, depending on your preference.
• Testing is required for all Correctional Officer applicants.
• A typing test is required for certain positions. If required, this will be noted on the vacancy posting. More information is available here.
• The need for tests for other positions is determined by the hiring department.
|Q6:||What happens after I apply for a job?|
|A6:||• When you apply for an announced vacancy, DAS-HRE staff review your application. If you meet the minimum requirements for that vacancy, your name and resume/application information will be available to the hiring department. The department will notify you if you are selected for an interview.
• Hiring departments may have additional requirements in addition to the minimum qualifications for the job. Be sure to carefully read the vacancy posting and follow all instructions posted.
• In all cases, the hiring department will contact applicants to arrange for an interview and are responsible for contacting all applicants after making their hiring decisions.
|Q7:||What about veterans points?|
Upon request, veterans points will be applied to honorably discharged veterans as defined in Iowa Code Chapter 35C who are residents of Iowa. Former members of the Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who served at least 20 years after January 28, 1973 are eligible. Reserve Force or Iowa National Guard veterans who were activated for federal duty, other than training, for a minimum of 90 days and were discharged under honorable conditions or retired under Title 10, United States Code, are eligible. Veterans with a service-connected disability, a Purple Heart, or who are receiving disability compensation or pension through the U.S. Veterans Administration may also request veterans points. Proof of disability from the Veterans Administration must be submitted and updated every two years.
|Q8:||What if I don't want to apply online?|
You may apply for announced vacancies using a paper application that can be filled out and submitted in the following ways:
Last Updated 03/04/2011