Class Code:† 08015
IOWA DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES -
HUMAN RESOURCES ENTERPRISE
Assists building and mechanical trades personnel in the maintenance and repair of state owned buildings, grounds and equipment and learns standard practices, methods and tools/equipment used in skilled trades work; performs related work as required.
The Work Examples and Competencies listed are for illustrative purposes only and not intended to be the primary basis for position classification decisions.
Observes and assists skilled trades workers in the performance of the following:
- welding of water/steam pipes, kettles and tables.
- repairing water lines, stools and sinks; installing new water lines and cleaning clogged drains and sewers.
- installing light fixtures and new electrical services; repairing appliances and electrical system.
- cuts wire or conduit and drills holes in walls, floors or ceiling for electrical connections.
- replaces defective switches, wiring and related electrical fixtures.
- building of cabinets, doors, etc.; installing locks and window glass; rebuilding curbs, steps and railings; minor roof repairs.
- repairing boiler plant equipment, furnaces and air conditioners; checking, greasing and oiling electric motors and fans.
- fixing furniture, floor tiling, hanging doors and windows; painting and finishing walls with a brush, roller, or sprayer.
- repairing/maintaining fire protection systems.
Ability to learn methods, standard practices and tools/equipment used in building/mechanical maintenance trades.
Ability to recognize hazards present and learn safety precautions necessary in building and maintenance work.
Ability to understand and follow detailed oral/written instructions and learn to read layouts/prints required
in trades work.
Ability to learn the tools, materials, and practices of the electrical trade.
Ability to learn the structure, design and maintenance of fire protection systems.
Displays high standards of ethical conduct. Refrains from dishonest behavior.†
Works and communicates with all clients and customers providing polite, quality professional service.
Displays a high level of initiative, effort, attention to detail and commitment by completing assignments efficiently with minimal supervision.†
Follows policy, cooperates with supervisors and aligns behavior with the goals of the organization.
Fosters and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust, group identity and team spirit throughout the organization.†
Exchanges information with individuals or groups effectively by listening and responding appropriately.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
No specific education or experience is required.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Designated positions in this job class require applicants to obtain the required commercial driverís license and endorsements within a period of time as determined by the appointing authority at the time of hire.
Effective:† †04/10† DDF††